Friday, February 25, 2011

The Beach Umbrella

We don't go to the beach often enough. Its only a 35 minute drive, 
and once we get there it's like being on vacation.
Every time we go we promise ourselves to go at least once a month. Have a May Day.
 I keep a beach tote bag in the closet ready to go, but there are still chairs to pack and drinks and our beach umbrella. Our beach umbrella has been a problem for years. It's always tipping over in the breeze. Other umbrellas are still standing. What's the secret?

This time Larry brought a mallet and proceeded  to pound the pole into the sand.

A skinny man with skin darkly tanned and weathered by years in the sun was sitting on the short wall nearby smoking a cigarette. He was watching us.

 I looked at him, smiled, and said hello.

His shook his head and said, "you're doing that all wrong."

 I told him that we can never get our umbrella to stay up very long in the wind.

He said "just twist it in". So we twisted it. No luck. I looked at him.

He shook his head again and said, "you're doing that all wrong."

I asked him to show us. He came over and rotated the pole in wide circles into the sand. 
Amazingly the pole was quickly and easily buried deeply and securely into the sand.
 We opened the umbrella and it flapped in the breeze and the pole didn't move! WOW!
We thanked him for sharing this genius technique and helping us. 
Have a good day, was exchanged and he walked away down the Ft. Lauderdale boardwalk.
We got to sit under the now secure beach umbrella.
ahhhhh!
If you ask a question or need help with a problem, the answer will always be sent to you. Not always as expected. You just need to to be open enough to receive it.

Love,




9 comments:

  1. How cool! Love your beach photos... I'd need to twist my umbrella in the 5 inches of new snow!!!!hugs.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rita, these photo's make me long for the shore. Everyone needs to get to the shore often, something about the wind,smell,sounds of the waves,etc...
    ~Jo May
    LazyonLoblolly
    (we always have May days-thats our name too)hehe.....have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A day at the beach!! Priceless! NEXT Friday my two daughters and I will be at the closest beach to us....Galveston! We.can't.wait.
    Everyone needs a beach day from time to time! Thanks for sharing YOURS with US!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gulp. I am so jealous!

    I love the beach and with all the snow and winter we have had, the beach sounds extra fine right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice man to help you out! We have chairs that have umbrella lids and built in cup holders that fold up nice and small, we love them! We got them at Sams's club! Wish I was at the beach! We've had 2 snow storms this weekend! Have a good one!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great tip! So delighted that he shared with you and you with us. I wouldn't have known how to do that either. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you could get the umbrella to stay put. our friends have a special pole that twists into the sand then the umbrella goes into it. They bought it at a beach shop. I think I would be at the beach more than once a month...But of course it's because I live 20 hours from the closest beach. Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rita, your story made me smile!! I loved the whole exchange with this man and could clearly envision his stature! His slightly gruff manner and steady gaze as y'all were struggling with the umbrella. And the picture at the end of the post... so sweet! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes we don't appreciate what is close to us. I can well understand how sometimes you need to make yourself go but then when you're there, you can't wait to come back.

    Great to have you be a part of "Oh, the PLACES I have been!"

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete